From: Beartooth <karhunhammas @ Lserv . com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 14:21:51 -0400 (EDT)
To: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 13:35:54 -0700
> J C Lawrence <claw @
 kanga .
 nu> wrote:

> > They're social systems in exactly the same way that social
> > groups that go lunch together form at work places.
>
> And the other bit which is interesting here is how those social
> and cultural definitions define the population of the lists both
> in terms of base membership and in terms of those who post and
> those who lurk (or cease lurking) within the base membership.
	(snip)
> Social groups, they're enough to make you tear your hair out.

	Well, there's an angle that should really appeal to this
group: Languages, certainly, and probably group formation as well,
are not hardwired into the brain -- but the predisposition to learn
(at least one) language pretty surely is; and so methinks is the
predisposition to form gangs, cliques, etc. More: experience
suggests that any well-defined group will eventually discover
itself to be an elite ...  And here we're into computer
architecture imitating life, or something like that .... <grin>

--
RR 'Beartooth' Neuswanger <karhunhammas (at) lserv.com>
double retiree, erstwhile philologist & library cataloger,