Subject: Warning -- scripted mass subscribe mailbomb from berlin.de
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:21:26 -0700
To: list-managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Someone on berlin.de is scripting mass mailbomb attacks. Be aware of this.
They scripted all of our lists onto a list there, so that all messages ended
up on that list, and then pointed that list at a target mailing list he was
evidently mad at.

And those people are now yelling at us, even though we caught it quickly and
got everything unwound on our end.

(and yes, these are the lists with mailback subscription validation. He
either manually confirmed those, or from our logs and the timing, it really
looks like he scripted something to send back the confirms.)

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.

Indexed By Date Previous: Locking mailing lists to prevent virus distribution