Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

Subject: Re: can Majordomo do this?
From: Aditya <aditya @ grot . org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:29:35 -0800
To: Christian Sanelli <christiansanelli @ yahoo . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Hi Christian,

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:22:12PM -0800, Christian Sanelli wrote:
> Can Majordomo do this for me?:
>
> (1) Have people go to my webpage and sign up for a
>     mailing list, entering their e-mail and what
>     types of items they're interested in buying
> (2) After confirming their e-mail, I want to send
>     each person a welcome e-mail with a list of
>     items that I currently have in my database
>     matching their search criteria
> (3) Then, on a regular basis, I search my database
>     for any new items that match any subscriber's
>     search criteria, and send further e-mails if
>     needed.

No, Majordomo cannot do this for you "out-of-the-box" as it wasn't designed
for this sort of thing -- it is best to use Majordomo to send the *same*
message to many people. What your described need requires a bit of programming
and sends a customized message to each recipient -- I've built exactly what
you are looking for, but it doesn't use (nor does it require) a mailing list
manager like Majordomo.

We can discuss this further over private email if you would like as it is
off-topic for this list.

Hope that helps,
Thanks,
Adi