Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

Subject: Re: Looking for explanatory for Precedence line
From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry A. Warsaw)
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:23:24 -0500
To: "Andrew Billinghurst" <billinghurst @ tpg . com . au>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

 tpg .
 com .
 au> writes:

    AB> I have been asked some questions about the mailing list header
    AB> line Precedence: ...  after having mail blocked by ISPs for
    AB> use of the extension Precedence: junk and Precedence: bulk,
    AB> both of which I understand are very appropriate for mailing
    AB> lists.

    AB> Now I can find brief reference to their use in the new
    AB> Sendmail book BUT I am unable to find any RFC for their use
    AB> from first principles or other places where I can read about
    AB> these header lines in depth.

    AB> Anyone got any pointers?

The only one I'm aware of is a mention in RFC 2076, which says:

3.9 Quality information

   Sometimes used as a priority         Precedence:    Non-standard,
   value which can influence                           controversial,
   transmission speed and delivery.                    discouraged.
   Common values are "bulk" and
   "first-class". Other uses is to
   control automatic replies and to
   control return-of-content
   facilities, and to stop mailing
   list loops.

This RFC was written in 1997 and I'd say by now this header is a
little less of at least the "controversial" and "discouraged" tags.
Seems pretty common for mailing list managers, and darn near required
for vacation programs. :)

-Barry