Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2003)

Subject: Re: Looking for explanatory for Precedence line
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey @ goldmark . org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:50:33 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> [...]
 goldmark .
 org> writes:

>     JG> The exim documentation has an example of using these headers
>     JG> to not send warning messages

> Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that.  Huge, huge win.

Indeed.

> In fact, I think some earlier version of Exim came with this disabled
> and it caused us no end of headaches.  I believe all modern Eximen
> have this enabled by default.

I've never seen this in the default exim configuration file.  But maybe
some in debian distributions its been used by default.

However, the example

 delay_warning_condition = \
        ${if match{$h_precedence:}{(?i)bulk|list|junk}{no}{yes}}

Is provided in the documentation.  Any time, as a list owner, I see a
warning message from an exim system, I will point the postmaster at that
site to this part of the exim documentation.

I wish other MTAs had this capacity and that more people used it.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
 Hate spam?  Boycott MCI! http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/anti-spam/mci/