Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

Subject: Re: Majordomo hole my rear end!
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:01:00 -0500
To: "list-managers" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 02:19 PM 2003-02-10 -0500, Steve Werby wrote:

"Vince Sabio" <vince @
vjs .
org> wrote:
> However, default settings should be reasonable.

Or force you to configure the software and provide adequate documentation.
IIRC, 1.94.x hasn't been updated since 1997 or so.  In 1997 the default for
which_access was fairly reasonable.  It's not really right to form an
opinion based on what's reasonable today.

Part of the alert was against Mj2. Mj2 does not *force* you to configure these items, but it does have strong suggestions that it is important to look at a subset, and I believe that the which default is in the subset.

Anyway, I just don't give any security alert creedence if it uses the phrase
"evil spammers" not once, but twice.  Redundant, don't you think?

It may well be, but sometimes I don't think it can be said often enough :-). Especially after I spend the day looking at spam. I have an individual system, I've tried to maintain a single e-mail address for a number of years, and I am about to replace it with an autoresponder that gives people who want to contact me my address-of-the-month.

--
SPAM: Trademark for spiced, chopped ham manufactured by Hormel.
spam: Unsolicited, Bulk E-mail, where e-mail can be interpreted generally to mean electronic messages designed to be read by an individual, and it can include Usenet, SMS, AIM, etc. But if it is not all three of Unsolicited, Bulk, and E-mail, it simply is not spam. Misusing the term plays into the hands of the spammers, since it causes confusion, and spammers thrive on confusion. Spam is not speech, it is an action, like theft, or vandalism. If you were not confused, would you patronize a spammer?