Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:27:23 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 07:36:34AM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> Not FUD. mailing lists are losing an increasingly significant number of
> messages to badly written and managed spam filters. So are regular
> users, because of false positives.

Okay, let's assume you're right and I'm wrong.  Solution:

	Exterminate the spamming vermin.

If the spammers go away, then the need to filter their effluent goes
away as well.  Unfortunately, some/many/too many ISPs refuse to
terminate their spammers instantly, and this pro-spam/pro-abuse policy
(whether out of greed or just incompetence) allows spammers to stay
online in the same place for months or years at a time, with predictable
consequences.

So IMNSHO going after poorly-written filters (or in the case of some,
filters written/sold by spammers themselves, e.g. Sunbelt Software)
is treating the symptom, not the disease.  The focus needs to be on
getting as many ISPs as possible to remove their spammers quickly --
and on blocking all mail traffic from ISPs which refuse to do so.

---Rsk