Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:45:44 -0800
To: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 04:17  AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 06:44:32PM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
It's failing miserably at dealing with it, actually.

Then we have a difference of opinion: I think it's doing quite well.

That's a first (snork).

It's now been made clear to ISPs that providing spam-support services will
not be tolerated by the Internet community, and that those ISPs which
do

and just look at how quickly the spam volume is dropping, too! wow! It's almost solved!

Those attempts at intervention and isolation have basically been an absolute failure. sorry.

And legislation will come.

And will be watered-down and ineffective and inapplicable on a global basis.

I'm going to write on this in my blog. Stay tuned. But this is the typical geek attitude I see: we can't solve it 100%, so don't try. Wrong answer. Let's go get the first hunk, and it'll improve things and make the next hunk easier.

more when I have time.

What you call poisoning, people in the real world call
compromise, adn it's that unwillingness to compromise that causes geeks
to get marginalized out of these discussions in the first place,

There is no compromise as to the use of MY systems.

And the end result of that attitude is that when these laws ARE passed, you may find them passed in ways you find intolerable, but since you have no compromise in your attitude, you get left out of the discussion. So if the laws ban RBLs? you may not have a choice any more. But since you won't take a compromise answer as an answer, you risk losing things you consider untouchable.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui @

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.