Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

Subject: Re: not about (was Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS
From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry A. Warsaw)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:34:47 -0500
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>, Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

    CVR> and yes, that means "everyone is equal" is not part of the
    CVR> equation. If a wizard and a lurker fight, I'll usually choose
    CVR> the side of the wizard. wizards get cut slack for stuff,
    CVR> too. don't like it? tough: they're in the trenches making the
    CVR> list useful most of the time, they get special privileges,
    CVR> because they've earned it...(on the other hand, their power
    CVR> is far from absolute. just not the same as someoen who
    CVR> doesn't contribute)

Most of the lists I'm on are highly technical and there things
definitely work on a meritocracy.  That doesn't always mean that a
wizard is the person who posts the most to the list, but for whatever
reason, they are highly valued members of the community who have
earned their wings.

I'm curious if the same phenomenons hold true for non-geek laden
lists.  Even the music lists I'm on tend to be sopping with
geekgoo. :)  How do lists with Real People differ in culture and
participation of members?

-Barry