Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

Subject: Re: not about (was Re: PLEASE DO NOT CC ME ON MESSAGES TO THIS
From: Greg Matheson <lang @ ms . chinmin . edu . tw>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:27:16 +0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> I also like ideas that are morphing traditional discussion mailing
> lists into more diverse communication tools.

Lists are like a cross between a party and a symposium. In the
pre-email and pre-photocopier age, written communications among a
group often took the form of circulars. Photocopying (and emailing)
copies of the same thing to everyone, even when they may not want
to read it, could be considered impolite, or wasteful or
something.

--
Greg Matheson          In theory, theory and practice are the same thing.
Dr Bean's Penpal Pool  In practice, they are different.