Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

Subject: Re: Godwin's Law... and more
From: Greg Woods <woods @ ucar . edu>
Date: 26 Feb 2003 13:29:09 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 11:51, Tatum, Richard wrote:

>    http://www.killfile.org/faqs/godwin.html

:-)

While I agree that Godwin's Law is misunderstood and often applied
inappropriately, it does have a basis in fact. The point is, almost
every time someone compares one's opponent in a net debate to a man who
knowingly ordered the deaths of six million people who didn't meet his
ethnic standards, the comparison is inappropriate, and indicates that
the person making this comparison doesn't know what they are talking
about and has nothing real to say. So I agree with the way it is most
often stated these days, even if it's not what Mike Godwin originally
meant, which is that, as soon as someone brings Hitler or the Nazis into
a discussion, it means that it is already more heat than light, or soon
will be, and either way, it's usefulness has ended.

--Greg