Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

Subject: Are members blocking instead of leaving?
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:59:02 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Is anyone else starting to see bounces of the form

	... while talking to air-xj05.mail.aol.com.:
	>>> RCPT To:<SomeMember @
 aol .
 com>
	<<< 550 SomeMember IS NOT ACCEPTING MAIL FROM THIS SENDER
	550 <SomeMember @
 aol .
 com>... User unknown

I have started to see more and more of these, and I find myself wondering
whether AOL members (and possibly on other services) are using the
ever-expanding "spam blocking" facilities as a shortcut to leave lists,
rather than figure out how to do it at the listserv level.

Maybe if we worked with AOL and MUA makers to translate the RFC2369 Unsub
header into an equally easy "button," members would use it?