Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2003)

Subject: Re: Are members blocking instead of leaving?
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:35:25 -0500
To: bernie @ fantasyfarm . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 3:45 PM -0500 2/27/03, Bernie Cosell is rumored to have typed:

> In any event: what do you all do with those bounces?

   The server treats them like any other bounce; four in a reasonable period
and the server removes the address, regardless of the reason. Sometimes, if I
notice them on the lists I actively maintain before the server takes action,
I remove them manually.

>  the equally obnoxoius "No thanks" from world.std.com

   I got so sick of that triggering for no-darned-good-reason-at-all that on
the one list I actively maintain (hobbiest list dealing with Old-Time Radio),
I refuse to accept subscriptions from theworld.com or std.com, rejecting them
back to the attemptor with an explaination. (Other lists on the server accept
them, but then it's not my direct problem since I don't actively maintain
'em, and it wouldn't be fair for me to make decisions like that for clients,
paid or not.)

   I had one subscriber who used to be a customer run a test by bouncing mail
through his virtual domain (so he'd receive the bounces instead of the
sender), and he was shocked by the amount of innocent mail TheWorld was
rejecting with that teeth-gnashing, "No, thank you." He ended up finding
another provider.

         Charlie