Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: Mark Fletcher <markf @ snoovler . com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 09:05:21 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Charlie Summers wrote:

  Is it likely that some spammer joined this list to harvest addresses? I
doubt it. More likely, the scum simply harvested them from one of the
web-based archives (Yahoo! comes to mind). But it's sure annoying...

It has been known to happen in the past (subscribing to a list to grab addresses of those who post). Not implying anything in this case, but spammers have also automated queries of list subscriptions (ie. WHO commands). As for harvesting from web-based archives, at least in Yahoo's case, that's not possible due to the obfuscation of email addresses that occurs.

Mark

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...