Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: Istvan Berkeley <istvan @ louisiana . edu>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 12:24:17 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Hi there,
Although in theory archives of list traffic are a nice idea, in practice, there is another problem, in addition to the spambots. This has to do with copyright. According to Jonathan Rosenoer, in his book *Cyberlaw: The Law of the Internet* Springer, (1998), the copyright situation with e-mail is quite curious. The copyright status is determined by reference to the law as it applies to letters. For instance, when you receive this e-mail, you own the (quasi-)physical object. However, I own the content. For this reason, without an explicit release, it may be a violation of copyright to post the message to an archive. Note also, that this makes the activities of third-party archives especially troublesome.

Now, I am not a lawyer, but given the current craziness that is happening with copyright, it has seemed prudent to me for several years to not use archives with mailing lists. The problem of the spambots offers yet another compelling reason to avoid them.

All the best,

Istvan
--
Istvan S. N. Berkeley, Ph.D.			istvan @