Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:06:47 -0700
To: Istvan Berkeley <istvan @ louisiana . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 10:24  AM, Istvan Berkeley wrote:

The copyright status is determined by reference to the law as it applies to letters. For instance, when you receive this e-mail, you own the (quasi-)physical object. However, I own the content. For this reason, without an explicit release,

simple answer: list rules should state permission to archive and whatever re-use you feel is reasonable. users don't like it? don't subscribe.

I think another aspect of this is that since every site ought to have a privacy statement, lists ought to explicitly declare how the content will be used anyway, and what affect that has on a user's privacy.