Subject: "If we came into posession of evidence..."
From: "Michael S. Johnson" <michj @ nausicaa . net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:39:56 -0800 (PDT)
To: "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." <amitchell @ habeas . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, 1 May 2003, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:
> So my question is: if we came into possession of evidence of someone
> selling the usernames/addresses of another mailing list (_your_
> mailing list) would you, as a list manager, be interested in pursuing
> legal action against the list broker?

For those of us list owners who are not also lawyers, would your company
be willing to press charges on our behalf by request?  I gather that
because your firm is gathering experience in successful litigation against
spammers and related parties, your firm would be more efficient at this
process than individual list owners.

I would be interested in such a service.  May I suggest that whether or
not the service is cost-effective (i.e. if your legal costs exceed the
potential reward), your firm should make a cost estimate available to the
affected list owner along with the necessary evidence and guidelines for
how to proceed, so that the list owner can make the decision to press
charges or not.

--
Michael