Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:47:58 -0700
To: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Letters to the editor are accepted with a license of "permission to publish unless otherwise stated", and online would be considered a legal aspect of their publication.

I user could, I guess, refuse to allow the NY Times to publish their letter in newspapers distributed in the state of connecticut -- but teh NY Times would do that by never publishing that letter.....

I sort of see it like someone who gets up on a soapbox on a streetcorner and starts telling anyone who's, oh, Jamaican to leave because they aren't allowed to listen to him. By standing up on the streetcorner, they're consciously choosing a public space, and that limits their right to define who can and can't listen in... no 'reasonable person' would believe that jamaican limitation to be enforceable...