Subject: Re: "If we came into posession of evidence..."
From: Andrew Beverley <andy @ andybev . com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 22:45:50 +0100
To: Vivek Khera <khera @ kcilink . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I believe big @
boss .
com is an email virus. It harvests addresses from various files on the computer that has been infected...

Andy Beverley

Vivek Khera wrote:
Somehow I missed the start of this thread, but it got me thinking
about something I've been noticing of late, which is sort of related
to lists being sold.

I've been blocking a lot of spam from the sender big @
boss .
com on one
of my list hosting machines.  Curiously, the recipient address has
been the uniquely-coded confirmation address for people signing up to
lists, or for list owners to confirm their new account, or the
VERP-type bounce address from actual message delivery.

Now, since these are uniquely coded, I know who the original recipient
was...

Are people selling their own address books to spammers?  Outlook has
this nasty feature of adding everything it sees to your book, so such
addresses would show up this way.