Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 21:36:17 -0700
To: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 07:48  PM, Tom Neff wrote:

and those need to be protected by a challenge/response system.

All of them?

all of them. IMHO, of course.

For example - a properly written challenge/response system should contain a
postmaster email address to be contacted in case the correspondent has
trouble navigating the challenge response.

fine, but don't make it a standard role account, so it won't get dictionary attacked, if you must. if ti gets spam-blasted, it stops being useful because sites stop watching it anyway...

I think it might actually violate an RFC to wall off 'postmaster' and a
couple of others, come to think of it.

Nope. has to exist. Deosn't say it can't have a challenge/response to it.

Also, from a business standpoint, if you have a customer complaint address and you encase it in a "how many GIF swirlies am I holding up" hoop-jump, you
could be liable under various consumer protection statutes.

if there's so much spam you don't bother reading the address or disable it instead, what's the lesser evil here?