Subject: Looking for majordomo-friendly ISP
From: "Richard B. Emerson" <pavilion @ pinefields . com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 06:23:13 -0400
To: List-Managers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Although I'm new to this list, I've been running small lists for almost 10 years. Recently I shifted to Comcast's broadband service from a local dialup provider and... surprise, surprise, Comcast is very unhappy about even 120+ mailings of 2K messages. I've added mail throttling and some other tweaks to make the traffic fit Comcast's restrictions but no joy. Traffic on the list in question (Baba-L, a sailboat-related list) varies from nothing for a few weeks to 5-6 messages a day and message size averages 2-3K. Currently the mail is sent via a perl script that I've developed over the years but I think it's time to move to majordomo.

For a number of reasons, a web-based list is not an option so now I'm looking for an ISP who will support mail. The current contender is pair.com. Unfortunately, they don't support majordomo and, worse, their main mail tool is still in beta and being offered for free although it's clear the free ride will end at some point. When I ask for projected rates, I get "we don't know".

So... I'm looking for a majordomo-friendly ISP that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to use it. Suggestions?

Rick Emerson

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: heads up about recent spammer & demime bug