Subject: Re: heads up about recent spammer & demime bug
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 16:40:58 -0400
To: List Managers List <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 11:49 PM 2003-08-10 -0400, J C Lawrence wrote:

On Sunday, August 10, 2003, at 10:14 AM, Jeff Wasilko wrote:

> If you're using demime to front-end majordomo, you should patch it to
> deal with a problem that was recently discovered.

This problem is not unique to majordomo hosted lists.

Yep. There is now a release of demime that incorporates the patch - the download site is here:

http://majordomo.squawk.com/njs/demime/index.html

If you are not running 1.1d, you are vulnerable to this. I found it the same way that I suspect everyone else did, and immediately realized, to my shame, that it was going to be a widespread problem, so I stayed up until I developed a patch and published it on the demime-l list. (I had to sync/reboot my system with sysrq - I could not get in with ctrl-alt-del - it announced that it would start shutting down things, and I waited, but a half hour later it had not yet killed any of the processes that were hanging things up, so I synched and remounted read only, then booted.) I realize that I should have published it here as well, the only reason I did not was because I was too tired to think by the time I finished figuring out the problem myself.

If you are running an older version, or have a locally patched version you want to fix, the patch that was previously posted is good.

--
He said: "There are people from Baath here reporting everything that
goes on. There are cameras here recording our faces. If the Americans