Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey @ goldmark . org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
To: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, JC Dill wrote:

> Since then I've received 2 forwarded emails regarding another subscriber's
> vacation autoresponder that is responding *to the author* for each post to
> the list. Since these messages are not going *to the list*, should I, as
> list owner, take any action (set their subscription to nomail, or ?)
> against the subscriber?

When I get an autoresponse to something I posted to a list, I refer both
the person on vacation and their postmaster to:

 http://www.goldmark.private/netrants/auto-resp/

If it is a list that I run and is not low volume, I will them to "nomail".

I also send a message to the postmaster that if I get this from a second
user at their site, I may bar all subscriptions to those domains.  I do
this as im implied threat (which I've never carried out).

> Weighing these 2 issues, my present gut feeling is that I should not take
> any action if the vacation program is only sending *one* response to each
> poster,

> Are there other factors I'm overlooking?

Consider how it scales.  Assume that at any given time, maybe 5% of your
list are "on vacation".  If they all used broken autoresponders, then a
single post to a list of 1000 would generate 50 autoresponses to the
sender.  Subsequent posts from the same user would generate fewer, but
still your policy does not scale well unless only a small minority of
users use broken autoresponders.

> What I am seeking is not so much "the answer" as to make sure I've asked
> all the right questions to help me come up with the answer for my list.

Every list is different.  I'm providing you with the reasons why I follow
a stricter policy than you suggested.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/