Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:27:46 -0700
To: Berg Oswell <berg @ eskimo . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

	That assumes the auto-responder is broken...from what the original
poster has said, this one is not broken, since it has sent just one
response to each person that sent it mail.

	Letting people know you can't answer their email right away is a
polite, thoughtful thing to do...providing your autoresponder isn't
configured by an idiot.  Why punish someone for doing the right thing?

it's not the right thing.

I didn't send you an e-mail. I sent a mailing list an e-mail. Why do I, as a user of that mail list care that you're not reading it right now?

That's a key issue some folks don't seem to be really understanding here. That you got an e-mail from me, doesn't mean I sent you an e-mail. I only care to see a vacation bot message if I send you an email. if I'm mailing something that ends up mailing you, I shouldn't see a mailbot.