Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:55:35 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 1:12 PM -0400 8/14/03, Berg Oswell is rumored to have typed:

> 	Letting people know you can't answer their email right away is a
> polite, thoughtful thing to do

   In my opinion, telling someone who _needs_ to know is polite; telling
everyone in the world who doesn't really care is about as IMpolite as it gets.

   For example, if I go on vacation, I let the clients I directly service and
those I work with know well ahead of time I will be away. YOU, very likely,
don't give a rat's tale whether or not I'm on vacation (actually, I am this
week, not that anyone asked). If you post to the list-managers list, you
should NOT receive something from me you do not care to receive...that isn't
"polite," it's invasive. (I really like, and may steal, Chuq's newspaper
analogy.)

   IMHO, these autoresponders are by their very nature worse-than-useless,
and on the lists I actively manage one autorespond provokes an immediate
unsubscribe. This is neither, "unpredictable" nor "arrogant" - it is a rule
of the lists. (Those hosted on the server operated by others, of course, have
their own rules; I don't dictate this to any of the other list-moms.) I don't
mess with long involved procedures; one autorespond, I run the script that
bounces the offender and sends the explaination message, part of which tells
them to contact their MIS departments (the majority of them, even on my hobby
lists, come from brain-damaged corporate systems).

   You are welcomed to send out all the vacation mesages you wish, since I
have not the right to tell you what you may and may not mail. From a user
perspective, if I receive one from you simply because I posted to a mailing
list, I am welcomed to bounce any future mail from you (I'll even go so far
as to drop your listmail into /dev/null), since I DO have the right to
determine who's mail I will and will not RECEIVE. And from a list-mom
perspective, if you do it on any list I actively manage, you will receive a
polite note telling you you have been unsubscribed, and suggesting that you
are welcomed to subscribe as soon as you fix your autoresponder never to
bother me or any of my subscribers again, since I DO have the right to
determine who is subscribed to my lists. If you _really_ want to be polite,
do NOT send out a vacation message to anyone who doesn't absolutely require
one. And that, I'm afraid, you can NOT automate, since it requires human
thought and discression.

         Charlie Summers