Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:58:56 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On 14 Aug 2003 at 10:02, Berg Oswell wrote:

> 	Is it any of your business, as list owner, what people send
> off-list?  Even if it's in response to list traffic?  Who appointed you
> the censor of all that someone else sends?

Indeed, IMO it is my business!  If I get a slew of complaints from people on my
list that someone is harassing them or otherwise hassling them based on their
presence on my mailing list, I *WILL* ban [or at least warn] the offender.
Makes no difference to me if it is spamming the folk or vacation-bombing them
or posting annoying things or anything else. If you're to be allowed on a list
I run, you have to "Play nice".  It isn't a slam-dunk, of course -- one
complaint clearly won't get someone banned and you have to make allowances for
differences in 'style', but if my list gets 100posts a day and all 100 complain
about getting the vacation [or anything else] from a particular person, they're
off *my* list..  Obviously, YMMV.

> 	Oh, I'm not saying you can't, but if you act arbitrarily and
> unfairly, you'll kill your list...who wants to be on a list with an
> unpredictable, arrogant list-owner?

What's "unfair" -- if you misbehave and for whatever reason piss off/irritate
enough of the other listmembers, how is dropping you off the list acting
arbitrarily?

> 	From what the original poster has said, the guy running the
> autoresponder hasn't done anything wrong.

You need to be careful about judgmental words like "wrong" here.  I think there
is a consensus [at the very least it is my opinion] that sending a vacation
message to someone who sent a message to a mailing list is "wrong behavior" --
polite or not, it is still "wrong" in my book...

> .  If anything, he's being polite,
> and letting people who send him mail know that he's on vacation and can't
> answer right away.

Who cares?  I don't know who that person was, I don't care that he either did
or did not get a copy of the message -- if I cared, I'd have sent him a copy
personally/directly [and in that case, a 'vacation' is just right].  If you
post to list-managers, do you really want 200 "I'm on vacation" messages from
random folk you don't know and have never heard of?

> ... Given the number of rude jerks on the internet, do you
> really want to punish someone for being polite and thoughtful?

Polite, yes --- but thoughtful, no.  We've been through all that.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com     Pearisburg, VA