Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:43:52 -0700
To: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:55  AM, Charlie Summers wrote:

If you _really_ want to be polite,
do NOT send out a vacation message to anyone who doesn't absolutely require one. And that, I'm afraid, you can NOT automate, since it requires human
thought and discression.

And this is exactly why I stopped using a vacation bot years ago. I tell the people who need to know before I leave. I also don't believe in making it clear to the entire universe that my house and home are open to visitors (ahem) because I'm not there (even though we have people visiting and watching and sitting, depending on the trip, my sitters don't need that excitement, either).