Subject: Provider liability in lawsuits [was: Re: list policies about vacation programs]
From: "Paul M. Moriarty" <pmm @ igtc . com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:42:32 -0700
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chuq Von Rospach writes:
[...]
> can you sue? Yes. Will you win? depends on the situation. But you most
> certainly can sue, and if AOL was asked to step in and terminate the
> abuse and didn't, you'd likely win. This isn't much different from the
> case Verizon was fighting (and lost) over handing over indentification
> info to the RIAA. Or the John Doe lawsuits companies file against
> anonymous posters in chatrooms to get discovery capability to gain
> their identity (see AquaCool vs. Yahoo), or to stop leaking of
> confidential information (see Apple vs. "worker bee").

In which of these cases was the provider sued for damages?  Unless I'm
missing something I fail to see the relevance to stating that a provider can
be held liable for damages.

From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Next: Re: Provider liability in lawsuits [was: Re: list policies about vacation programs]
Next: Re: Provider liability in lawsuits [was: Re: list policies about vacation programs]
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ queernet . org>