Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman @ civicnet . org>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:56:51 -0400 (EDT)
To: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Hey Bernie :-)

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> > ..and personally, there are times
> > that I post something to a list and want to know that certain people
> > haven't seen it -- the impact on the list and the subscribers is minimal
> > (as compared to autoresponses that cause mail loops)
>
> That last is true, but if this became common do you really want hundreds, or
> thousands, of vacation messages in response to a post to a list, on the off
> chance that you'll be able to pick out 'certain people' from the mess that
> comes back?

I haven't found it a problem.  I'm on a LOT of lists, and post a
reasonable amount, and so far the volume of vacation messages I get is in
the noise, as compared to, say, the volume of spam I get.

On the other hand, the occaisional vacation robot that replies to one of
the lists I run is a nightmare - mail loops are not fun.

Now, on a more practical note, how would people on this list recommend
configuring an autoresponder so that it ignores list traffic entirely,
short of having to configure each list individually?

Miles