Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:34:34 -0700
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

my policy is simple: if you mailbot a mailing list message, you get unsubscribed to make it stop. It doesn't matter to me if it's to the list or to posters that report it to me. It's wrong, so I'll stop delivery because of it. When they come back from vacation, they can resubscribe if they want.

If it happens from the same account twice, they can't resubscribe a third time. Once is a mistake. Twice is not caring.

I used to try to be nice about this, and found it got me nowhere. Unsubscriptions and warnings seem to be needed to effect change, or at least protect my list users from those who won't change. And as bill cosby so nicely noted once, "parents don't want justice. they want quiet". I'll take quiet for $20.