Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Berg Oswell <berg @ eskimo . com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 02:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

You wrote:
> May I have your permission to quote your message on or from my rant on
> this matter?

	Sure.

> You must be using the words "polite" and "proper" in a ways that are
> unfamiliar to me.

	As for politeness...I've often been in conversation with people by
email; More than once, the other end of the conversation (sometimes multiple
ends, in large conversations) has suddenly gone out of town, and simply
vanishes for several weeks.

	This is intensely annoying, especially when I need their answer for
something; I send them an email, and it hits their mailbox after they leave.
No notification, nothing to say whether they were hit by a bus or merely left
on one, nothing.

	On the other side of it, I have very bad short term memory, and I
often forget to let everybody know that needs to know when I go out of town.
I use an auto-responder just for this reason.  So that I don't have to remember
the email addresses of 100-odd people that might need to know I'll be gone.

	The advantage of the auto-responder is that the people who don't
send me email while I am out of town usually don't need to know I'm
gone...and those that do will recieve one email saying so, no matter how
many things they send me.  I can and do filter responses, since a list
for posting fanfics has no need to know I'm not reading...but one I
discuss things on might; But even then, the responses are individual, not
to the list.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: list policies about vacation programs