Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Berg Oswell <berg @ eskimo . com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
To: chuqui @ plaidworks . com
Cc: berg @ eskimo . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com, pmm @ igtc . com

Chuq Von Raspach wrote:
> The burden of proof here is on the people who believe they're safe, not
> on me to convince you that you aren't. Any other attitude is asking for
> trouble, and IMHO, foolhardy.

	On the subject of lawsuits; Suppose you did ban someone for
some communication they sent that did not violate the list rules, and did
not take place on the list.

	I realize the law applies to governments, not to private citizens,
but still...there's the possibility of getting sued for first amendment
violations against the person you banned.  They'd probably lose, but do
you want to stick your neck out that far?

	Nobody is safe from a lawsuit at any time; Frivolous lawsuits and
ones based on an incorrect understanding of the law happen all the time.
List-owners have enough trouble within the area where they have undisputed
authority (their lists) without borrowing trouble by trying to police
everything people do, whether it's on the list or not.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Don't feed Troll: [Was: list policies about vacation programs]