Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:30:35 -0400
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:30:37 -0700

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:43:52 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:55 AM, Charlie Summers wrote:

>> If you _really_ want to be polite, do NOT send out a vacation message
>> to anyone who doesn't absolutely require one. And that, I'm afraid,
>> you can NOT automate, since it requires human thought and
>> discression.

> And this is exactly why I stopped using a vacation bot years ago. I
> tell the people who need to know before I leave. I also don't believe
> in making it clear to the entire universe that my house and home are
> open to visitors (ahem) because I'm not there (even though we have
> people visiting and watching and sitting, depending on the trip, my
> sitters don't need that excitement, either).

Precisely, and that's why I don't use vacation bots of any form.

However there does remain a need for some sort of status communications:

  I currently do/do not have time to do the following sorts of things...

be that participate in specific mailing lists, moderate, respond to
direct email, etc.  Umm, isn't that what .plan files and `finger` are
for, or even their more recent incarnations as blogs?

--
J C Lawrence
claw @