Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ panix . com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:43:01 -0500
To: "listmanagers" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Tom Neff wrote,

: When they get back, they either silently
: reactivate themselves or send me an inquiry ...

and Chuq Von Rospach said,

| When they come back from vacation, they can
| resubscribe if they want.

But do they?  I found that they rarely do.  Virtually none who send vacation
replies to lists or to posters -- whether they're inept with email,
constrained by clue-proof sysadmins, or just thoughtless in their treatment of
other list members -- ever react to the sudden dry-up of their subscriptions.
Nearly 100% of them either don't really care about receiving the list or are
too spacy to notice the difference.  By the same token, nearly 100% of them
were lurkers whose only responses to anything on the list were vacation
replies, so they were not missed.

There might be a difference: if you call it to their attention by telling them
"I'm shutting off your subscription until you tell me that you're back, that
you've turned off your autoresponder, and that you've fixed it so that this
won't recur when you go away again," they're a lot more likely to be aware
than if you do as I did, which was to figure that there was no point in
notifying them because they weren't there to read email anyway, and just
quietly shut the subscription off and wait until they realize that it's dried
up (which usually was never) and initiate correspondence with you.