Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 14:13:39 -0400
To: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

--On Saturday, August 16, 2003 11:43 AM -0500 "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @
panix .
com> wrote:
Tom Neff wrote,

: When they get back, they either silently
: reactivate themselves or send me an inquiry ...

and Chuq Von Rospach said,

| When they come back from vacation, they can
| resubscribe if they want.

But do they?  I found that they rarely do.  Virtually none who send
vacation replies to lists or to posters -- whether they're inept with
email, constrained by clue-proof sysadmins, or just thoughtless in their
treatment of other list members -- ever react to the sudden dry-up of
their subscriptions. Nearly 100% of them either don't really care about
receiving the list or are too spacy to notice the difference.  By the
same token, nearly 100% of them were lurkers whose only responses to
anything on the list were vacation replies, so they were not missed.

My percentages are different, but I agree with this analysis; I just don't really care. In my experience, active posting members who get dropped for vacation autoresponses, overflowing inbox quotas etc, almost always rejoin. Lurkers, on the other hand, frequently use this as the excuse to stop receiving a digest they never read anymore anyway. And that is fine by me. I feel no special responsibility to retain members who don't really want to be on the list anyway. Should I?