Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ panix . com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 15:12:14 -0500
Cc: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Guess my point didn't come across.  I'll try again.

Tom Neff wrote:

In my experience, active posting members who get dropped for vacation
autoresponses, overflowing inbox quotas etc, almost always rejoin.

In my experience, actively posting members, or even actively reading members, don't end up sending vacation autoresponses to the list, nor letting their inboxes fill, so they don't get suspended in the first place. Those who get suspended reasons tend largely to have little interest and not to miss the list any more than it misses them.

In the end, I kept a record of suspension dates and, if the reason for the shut-off didn't merit a permanent ban but the subscriber didn't get in touch within twelve months to reactive, I'd purge the record. Examples of such reasons might be (1) bounces for a full mailbox, so long as they were sent to the list's error address on the envelope instead of going to posters; (2) going to no-mail and just staying there; or (3) being an innocent user of a badly configured provider to which I would no longer send the list, but who declined my suggestion to get an additional email address somewhere less poisonous.