Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ panix . com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:02:32 -0500
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Chris Hastie added,

|6)  Do not respond to messages that do not explicitly contain your
|    address in the To: or Cc: headers.

I've said this once already, but it's been a few days and people such as Chris
seem to be trickling in and just now catching up with the thread: if you're
carboned on a message, then you're a bystander, and your perusal is neither
urgent nor critical.  In my opinion, don't send a vacation response if your
address is in Cc:, only if it's in To:.

|7)  If you really must respond, do so to the SMTP reverse-path, not
|   the From: or Reply-to: header address.

There I disagree strongly.  An OoO is not a DSN.  A message that gets a
vacation response was delivered successfully, so no DSN is called for.  The
subsequent journey from the recipient's mailspool to the recipient's eyes is a
separate matter.  I'd say that on the occasions when an OoO is justified in
the first place, it should be sent to the address where a reply would go,
because that's where anyone who cares about the message's being read would be
looking for mail from the recipient.  Like a reply, the content of an OoO is
about the human factors, not about the computers.

In my view it is a penepessimum argument.  I can think of no circumstances
where a vacation response to From: or Reply-To: is bad yet one to the
return-path is good, just cases where using the return-path would be the least
evil of three bad ideas (as in Chris's example of a mailing list) but sending
none at all is even better.