Subject: What's up with SPEWS?
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch @ ccmr . cornell . edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:07:21 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Am trying to figure out what's up with spews.org.  Suddenly we're
getting a bunch of bounces that look like this:

xxx @
 yyy .
 zzz
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 <xxx @
 yyy .
 zzz>... Mail from spam source 128.84.231.97 refused - see http://www.spews.org/)
    (expanded from: <xxx @
 ccmr .
 cornell .
 edu>)

... while talking to mail.gnsbiotech.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<xxx @
 gnsbiotech .
 com>
<<< 550 5.7.1 <xxx @
 gnsbiotech .
 com>... Mail from spam source 128.84.231.97 refused - see http://www.spews.org/
550 5.1.1 xxx @
 gnsbiotech .
 com .
  .
  .
  User unknown

Essentially, user 'xxx' at our site has a .forward that sends his
mail to user 'xxx' at gnsbiotech.com.  Suddenly all his mail is
bouncing like this.  From the headers in the bounce it appears
that a lot of the bouncing messages were actually spam to begin
with.

At 1st glance I thought our server had been blacklisted.  But I
can't get to www.spews.org to find out.  It seems their DNS has
disappeared.

So... now I'm wondering whether

a) we're on a blacklist that we can't even communicate with to get off
of, or

b) spews.org going off the net caused (some of) the sites using their
blacklist to default to blacklisting everyone.

I also saw a few cases, beginning at about the same time, of some
similar bounces claiming we were on a blacklist at osirusoft.com.
Could this mean we're on 2 blacklists?  Or is it just some sort of
domino effect between cooperating blacklists?

-Mitch

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: list policies about vacation programs