Subject: Re: AOL blocking --- lawsuit filed
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:48:15 -0400
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 28 Aug 2003 at 0:26, murr rhame wrote:

> Spam haven or not, I don't like the precedent of a court forcing
> an ISP to accept email from another ISP.  One of the few
> inalienable rights you have on the net is the right to refuse to
> listen.

But the question might be one of the duty of the *transport* providers.
Notice that if you refuse to accept email addressed to me, then you
deprive me of *MY* right to decide to 'listen' or not -- you've already
made the decision for me.

So one way to look at it is whether the sysadmins are actually the focal
points [and we users who rely on them to receive our email] merely their
minions subject to their whims [hello world.std.com]; or whether the
*users* are the focal point and the sysadmins are supposed to be serving
_them_.  [I won't use an ISP [and will try to get others to boycott it,
too] that tells me what email I can and cannot receive].

I don't mind *advice* or even handy tools to deal with certain classes of
stuff automatically, but for me, at least, I want the decision on what to
do with email addressed to me to reside with *ME*.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com     Pearisburg, VA