Subject: Re: AOL blocking --- lawsuit filed
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:59:00 -0700
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 04:48 AM 8/28/2003, Bernie Cosell wrote:
On 28 Aug 2003 at 0:26, murr rhame wrote:

> Spam haven or not, I don't like the precedent of a court forcing
> an ISP to accept email from another ISP.  One of the few
> inalienable rights you have on the net is the right to refuse to
> listen.

But the question might be one of the duty of the *transport* providers.

IMHO, the transport "provider" (ISP) has just as much right to decide what networks they will let connect to and transit their system as the destination ISP. What part of "my network, my rules" means it only applies to destination networks? If the destination network doesn't want a filtered line, go buy connectivity from someone else. If the ISP's end user doesn't want filtered email, go buy from someone else. It's a free market.

Notice that if you refuse to accept email addressed to me, then you
deprive me of *MY* right to decide to 'listen' or not -- you've already
made the decision for me.

If you had chosen to purchase connectivity from someone who utilizes "my network, my rules" in a fashion that was not consistent with your needs, then you need to find another provider.

So one way to look at it is whether the sysadmins are actually the focal
points [and we users who rely on them to receive our email] merely their
minions subject to their whims [hello world.std.com]; or whether the
*users* are the focal point and the sysadmins are supposed to be serving
_them_.  [I won't use an ISP [and will try to get others to boycott it,
too] that tells me what email I can and cannot receive].

As is your right. But the great unwashed masses on the Internet don't know how to make decisions about what to accept and what to reject and THEY want their ISP to make that decision for them. Some ISPs (mainly the smaller ones) want their upstream to similarly make the decision for them as well on some of these matters. In a free market everyone can select to purchase from a vendor who meets their needs.

I don't mind *advice* or even handy tools to deal with certain classes of
stuff automatically, but for me, at least, I want the decision on what to
do with email addressed to me to reside with *ME*.

Certainly you can admit that you are not a typical user.

jc