Subject: Re: AOL blocking --- lawsuit filed
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:24:51 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Steven Holton <sholton @
 nortelnetworks .
 com> writes:

> If AOL can decide it's not in my interest to receive the latest Nigerian
> scam, they can just as easily decide it's not in my interest to receive
> the latest [list-managers] postings.

If this bothers you, you should be very careful about the contract that
you sign with your ISP.  But it's their hardware, their equipment, and
their network, and if their contract says they filter mail and you agree
to that, I really don't have any sympathy and I certainly don't think you
have a right to complain that they live up to what they say that they do.

Given that currently AOL's entire TV advertising campaign here at the
moment is to shout from the rooftops that they *aggressively* filter, I
really don't think this argument holds much water.

--
Russ Allbery (rra @
 stanford .