Subject: Re: AOL blocking --- lawsuit filed
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Steven Holton wrote:

> If AOL can decide it's not in my interest to receive the
> latest Nigerian scam, they can just as easily decide it's not
> in my interest to receive the latest [list-managers]
> postings.

From what others report, AOL already does block many mailing
lists that are presumably asked for and are otherwise legitimate.
Is this another very good reason not to use AOL?  Yes of course.

> Perhaps more to the point, if AOL can demand pre-approval
> (and perhaps a registration/use fee) for legitimate lists
> like [list-managers] it's only a matter of time before we see
> "legitimate" SPAMers gaining the pre-approval and paying the
> registration/use fee.

Spammers would be far more willing and able to pay for access to
AOL's mailboxes than no-fee discussion lists like list-managers.
We can only hope that AOL will institute a pay-to-enter policy
and zealously enforce it to the grave.  Their spam ratio would be
far worse than it is now.

> We (collectively) lost this game back in Auguat 93, when we
> (collectively) first allowed commercial use of the Internet.

Yup.  The Net was so much better when it was only available to
well healed college kids and government employees.  Shoulda kept
the unwashed masses out.

- murr -