Subject: Re: AOL blocking --- lawsuit filed
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:47:01 -0400
To: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:47:04 -0700

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:19:58 -0400
Bernie Cosell <bernie @
 fantasyfarm .
 com> wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2003 at 8:59, JC Dill wrote:
>> ...  What part of "my network, my rules" means ...

> Where did this precept come from?  Here I thought we were all part of
> the "internet" and had more-or-less agreed to abide by its 'rules'
> [the RFCs at the least].

Quite.  Your network your rules inside your network, your external
agreements and obligations where your network intersects and connectos
to other's networks.

> This seems like a recipe for chaos.

Absolutely, this is a primary feature and strength.

> Can't wait to sign up for an ISP and see a list of protocols that they
> choose to ignore, protocols that they intentionally mishandle, etc,
> and have EVERY ISP posting a *different* 200 page list... and the
> sentiment being not "Hey, there are standards, let's play together"
> but "their networks, their rules, screw you".

Already exists and is already happening.  Look at the blurbs for many
ISPs which contain things like, "No outbound port 25 connections", "All
port 80 web browsing must go through our proxy", "DHCP only with
addresses forcibly rotated every N hours", "No user-run servers", etc.

> Maybe I've just been brainwashed, but I'm a conformance and
> cooperation and standards kind of guy, not an "everybody rolls his
> own" one...

Cooperation defined activities across borders, not within borders.

--
J C Lawrence
claw @