Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2004)

Subject: Re: subbing envelope sender vs from:?
From: Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald @ impressive . net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 19:22:36 -0500
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ panix . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

* David W. Tamkin <dattier @
 panix .
 com> [2004-02-09 18:05-0600]
> Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:
>
> >Upon receiving sub requests, some list management software
> >attempts to sub the email address given in the From: header,
> >others attempts to sub the envelope sender.
>
> I hope that "attempts to sub" means "sends a confirmation request to."

Yes.

> > Which behavior is correct, and why?
>
> Can either be trusted any more?  It's tempting to answer, "Neither."

Yes, if both sites have deployed SPF for forgery prevention.
http://spf.pobox.com/

(but that's not directly relevant to my question)

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald @
 impressive .

From: Richard Rognlie <rrognlie @ gamerz . net>
Next: Re: subbing envelope sender vs from:?
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: subbing envelope sender vs from:?
Next: Re: subbing envelope sender vs from:?
From: Richard Rognlie <rrognlie @ gamerz . net>