Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2004)

Subject: Re: subbing envelope sender vs from:?
From: Vivek Khera <khera @ kcilink . com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:08:18 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Feb 9, 2004, at 6:59 PM, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:

Upon receiving sub requests, some list management software
attempts to sub the email address given in the From: header,
others attempts to sub the envelope sender.

Well, I ran into this just the other day. One list I'm on moved from one server running Mailman to another running ezmlm. I had been subscribed to the list with two addresses: one which fed into my local (private) news server to archive the messages and make for easier reading, and the other as "nomail" to post to the list.

With the move to ezmlm, it insists on subscribing the envelope sender address, which makes it quite difficult to subscribe my news server's address. Aside from that ezmlm has no "nomail" setting, so I just left that list... :-(

I therefore believe that the right thing to do is to use the header "From:" address, as it provides for more flexibility (and no, SPF won't protect you from forging that, since it applies to envelope sender).

Internet: khera @
kciLink .
com       Rockville, MD  +1-301-869-4449 x806
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/