Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2004)

Subject: E-mail Lists and Web Integration
From: "Steven Clift" <slc @ publicus . net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:34:08 -0600
To: <onlinefacilitation @ yahoogroups . com>, <CHI-ANNOUNCEMENTS @ ACM . ORG>, <COMMUNET @ LIST . UVM . EDU>, <communityinformatics @ vancouvercommunity . net>, <com-prac @ yahoogroups . com>, <dg-os-study @ dgroups . orgm>, <eModerators @ yahoogroups . com>, <ITFORUM @ LISTSERV . UGA . EDU>, <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>, <syndication @ yahoogroups . com>, <virtualteams @ yahoogroups . com>, <WWWDEV @ LISTSERV . UNB . CA>

I have a dream, that someday e-mail lists and the web will walk hand in
hand.

In short, I want smarter e-mail lists to connect with dumber web forums
with clean crisp usable interfaces (database drive archives with "skins"
including a e-list to blog version with trackback, etc.), personalized
content tracking across multiple groups, rss headline feeds, and web-based
features like member directories and social networking options that will
work best on the web.  What I don't want is a system that makes e-mail
users second class citizens and prejudices the system toward web-only
posting.

Perhaps Mailman 3 might be one of the open source paths we can take?  As
they develop their next set of project requirements I encourage you to
contribute your ideas and technical abilities.

Steven Clift
http://publicus.net

P.S. http://E-Democracy.Org has been monitoring the potential open source
explorations of DGroups <http://www.dgroups.org> for some time and has
dozens of links and text on this subject at:
http://www.e-democracy.org/center/eweb.html

From:           	Barry Warsaw <barry @
 python .
 org>