Subject: Re: Automated attack on list managers?
From: John Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: 22 Aug 2004 15:58:37 -0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: tneff @ grassyhill . net

>It is even more likely that most of the "warning messages" you are seeing
>have nothing to do with your duties as Norbunet moderator, but are simply
>worm payloads masquerading as virus warnings.  In cases where you can
>authenticate the origin of the warning message, it's indeed most likely
>that a listmember's computer is infected.

I get vast number of "you have a virus" reports and they are
invariably sent by a crudware virus filter in response to a virus with
a forged return address.  All viruses now have forged return
addresses, and most virus filters are crud, so that's a lot of bogus
warnings.  The most you can conclude is that someone with your list's
address in his address book probably has a virus, since address books
on the infected computers are a prime source of those forged
addresses.

Since I am a weenie, I have some mail filters here that catch the most
common warning messages and forward them back to the postmaster on the
system that sent the warning with a note telling them to turn off the
warnings since they go 100% to the wrong place.  Unfortunately, most
postmasters are too dim to understand what the problem is and why it
is counterproductive to send virus warnings to people who didn't send
them viruses.  So for most people, the best you can do is to treat
them like any other kind of spam, since that's what they are.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"A book is a sneeze." - E.B. White, on the writing of Charlotte's Web