Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2004)

Subject: Re: things that should be in the welcome message
From: Paul Russell <prussell @ nd . edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:59:14 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I am not aware of any standards, or even "best practices" documents regarding
welcome messages, and the default welcome message text in most MLM products
seems to have been written by MLM geeks for MLM geeks. In other words, it is
almost completely incomprehensible to normal humans.

I am the co-owner of a list for hi-ed email administrators, and we replaced
the default welcome message with one that appears to provide most of the
information that was missing from the message you received and does not
require a post-graduate degree in MLM Science for comprehension. The text
of our welcome message is appended below my signature.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator

----- begin welcome message for HiEd-EmailAdmin list -----

Please save this message for future reference.

Welcome to the HIED-EMAILADMIN list. This list exists to facilitate
discussion about all aspects of email administration and management
in higher education environments. This includes, but is not limited
to: email platform/application, emerging email standards, mail flow,
unsolicited bulk or commercial email (spam), email viruses, account
management, email clients (both fat and thin), disaster recovery, and
email lists. The discussion will focus on these issues within a higher
education context. The primary audience is email administrators in
higher education, however, all members of the higher education community
are welcome to join the list.

The list is designed as a self-moderated discussion forum for
subscribers only; messages from other sources will be rejected.
Flames, personal attacks, and commercial messages will not be
tolerated. Offenders may be placed on moderation or removed from
the list, at the discretion of the list owners.

The list archives are accessible to the public and can be found on
the web at <http://listserv.nd.edu/archives/hied-emailadmin.html>.

Use of this list, its archives, or its membership details,
for commercial solicitation is prohibited.

The list is hosted at the University of Notre Dame and
is subject to the University's List Service Policies
<http://listserv.nd.edu/policies.html>.

<hied-emailadmin @
listserv .
nd .
edu>.

To contact the list owners, send an email message to
<hied-emailadmin-request @
listserv .
nd .
edu>.

To leave the list, send an empty email message to
<hied-emailadmin-signoff-request @
listserv .
nd .
edu>.

To manage your subscription options, send an email message to
<listserv @
listserv .
nd .
edu> with the appropriate command as the
only text in the body of the message, or use the web page at
<http://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=hied-emailadmin&A=1>.

To obtain a list of valid LISTSERV commands, including commands
for managing your subscription options, send an email message
to <listserv @
listserv .
nd .
edu> with the command 'info refcard'
(without the quotes) as the only text in the body of the message.