Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2005)

Subject: Re: Posting style filters?
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ vjs . org>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:29:41 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

** Sometime around 16:47 -0800 11/23/2005, Chuq Von Rospach said:

where I've seen this stuff used, or where I've experimented iwth it, it's been an absolute failure. it doesn't "teach" users "better" habits, it teaches users how to circumvent the filters.

Disagree with you (for a change), Chuq. On our lists, the server bounces messages for over-quoting, and the Listmoms(tm) bounce messages (on specific mailing lists) for top posting. In neither case do users, as a practice, circumvent the filters (there are exceptions, but we have an active Listmom(tm) team, so the exceptions are singletons FTMP, and are rare in any event).

However (and this is a big 'however' for Roger), what we've observed is that some users get kinda pissy when their posts are rejected for top posting. Of the ones who get pissy, some will attempt to debate with the Listmoms the relative merits of top posting vs. threaded posting (as we call it), and most of them will simply refuse to reformat their message and re-post it. [1]