Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2005)

Subject: Re: Posting style filters?
From: lee <davislee @ btinternet . com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:50:01 +0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Sounds like a rather clever system you have going on there, Jim.
I certainly agree that digests become a pretty bad mess, due to the replying and quoting issues we've been discussing. I suppose I've taken a 'well, can't do much about that' attitude, and just accept that digests will contain fiendish amounts of repetition.

By the way, does anyone use a MLM which 'threads' in a digest? ie sequencing by virtue of subject title. This would make following a thread easier but of course still excessively cluttered. I'm assuming 'digest threading' isn't generally performed by mlm's, or maybe just the ones I've used don't do it ... ?

Jim Osborn wrote:

I chose to roll my own procmail-based filters, not to bounce submissions but to clean up the distributions, and I apply those filters just to my digest.

Jim, how do you apply the filters to only the digest? Just curious, as I'm assuming you wouldn't have a separate pipe in place to feed just the digester processing ... presumably you've hacked your mlm and integrated your filters into its digest processing?

thanks,
lee

--

A perfect internet companion: LEE'S FREE MUSIC STATION <http://uk.music.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1453474498>